Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Skipper & Donna the Buffalo


After a day of reveling in my post-research admiration of kudzu, (see last post) Skipper's Smokehouse in Tampa was my chosen destination to take in some live music. The place was a blast! There's something about Florida's live music crowd that is very unique. I can't remember a time where I enjoyed a crowd as collectively as I did at the this show. Be it the natives, the transplants, or the people who simply sacrificed a life elsewhere for climate, they all seem to be able to come together seamlessly for the sake of the music. It didn't take long to establish that this group was my kind of people. Such emphasis was put on the simple task of having a great time.

The food at Skipper's Smokehouse was great. However, the setting of the venue is what won me over. The outdoor dining/seating area is surrounded by a network of weathered decking walkways and wooden covered pavilions. The "Skipper Dome" or primary vantage point for watching the stage consists of a canopy of towering oaks laced with sweeps of spanish moss. Huge stalks of bamboo shoot high into the night sky. The restroom walls had collected witty bits of art and non-offensive quips as pen and markered by the patrons over years past. My sister returned from a trip to the facilities amused after finding the lyrics to the Allman Brothers 'Soul Shine' etched on a wall of the loo. It was an absolutely beautiful setting for an outdoor show. We were welcomed to join a group of some local folks celebrating a birthday at one of the many oversized picnic tables. Once we settled in and the tunes started up, I felt at peace with an ice cold Sierra Nevada in hand. 

Donna the Buffalo was the band of choice for the evening. Despite their name, Donna is to Hootie as Buffalo is to Blowfish. The band is lead by the creative songwriter / musician / vocalist duo of Jeb Puryear and Tara Nevins. Since this summer, they've been one of those bands that has grown on me to the point that I feel bad for the years that I hadn't been aware of their work. It was their song 'America' that I had heard on satellite radio months prior that drew me in. I was pleased hear about last night's concert about a week ago when looking up live shows online. I saw they were going to be playing down in Tampa and I quickly talked my sister into grabbing tickets for the show. It was a good thing too, they sold out both nights they were in town.

Their music is a flowing mixture of folk and americana inspired jams. Frequent use of fiddle, washboard, and accordion set the driving tone that has an overall zydeco/cajun feel. This sound is one that my sister and I especially enjoy. Their music is penned with positive messages woven into really cool danceable grooves. It's a unique sound that you can't help moving with. The dance floor was absolutely packed with feet stompers and hippie twirlers. I was pleased to return to a crowd like this. It reminded me of my days working at a jam venue, The Canopy Club, back in my Champaign days of college! Surprisingly, Pennsylvania is Donna the Buffalo's state of origin, but MY GOD did their sound fit the Florida surroundings. 

Skipper's Smokehouse, as I've now been told, has been a magnet for quality acts over the years. The list can be found on their website (link below). This is not hard to imagine. I mean, come on, we're talking about Florida; the land that's witnessed the birth of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the Allman Brothers........Matchbox 20, Vanilla Ice, Flo Rida (OK, I need to stop!). We'll be catching a J.J. Grey & Mofro show there next weekend. I'm looking forward to the return. If you're ever in the Tampa area and are looking for a great local experience, I'd heavily suggest checking this joint out for a good bite and some great tunes.


Go to Skipper's Website....




No comments:

Post a Comment