Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fred E. Marquis Pinellas Trail: Biketopia?




After a week of exploration down in the St. Petersburg / Tampa area, I was finally able to get over to check out the Fred E. Marquis Pinellas Trail. I have to say this was one of the best trails I've ever been able to ride while traveling. The planning of the trail was perfectly suited for pedestrians and cyclists alike. The trail kept calling me northward with new and interesting features and beautiful changes in landscape making for an awesome 65 mile round-trip.

This 34 mile recreational trail runs through several cities starting in downtown St. Petersburg and running north to Tarpon Springs. The trail's creation came from the initiatives of a man that had lost his son to a vehicle vs. bike accident in 1983. His actions brought about the Pinellas County Metropolitan Bicycle Advisory Committee. The trail was constructed through long abandoned stretches of CSX railroad right-of-way.

A combination of warnings from my sister and research online led me to understand that some of the southernmost stretches of the trail go through some unsavory neighborhoods. With this in mind, I drove north a bit and wound up parking at Sunset Park (easy street parking @ Park Street and Sunset Avenue, St. Petersburg) I would then only have to ride a few blocks east to pick up an overpass of the trail to begin my ride. As I started to roll northbound on the trail, I wasn't quite amazed at the the surrounding. The trail simply looked like a large stretch of alley that ran behind several retail and industrial plazas. The flanking ditch-lines were littered with trash and abandoned shopping carts. I quickly realized that I had dropped onto the trail about 2-3 miles further south than I should have.

Then things started to open up a bit. As the trail separated from running along Tyrone Blvd, it dropped on to a approximate 1/2 mile causeway that ran over Long Bayou. Their were great views of the mangroves, plenty of bird species, and surrounding waterways. The surrounding neighborhoods and surrounding natural areas started looking better. Surprisingly, for being in Florida, I was surprised at the elevation changes I encountered (in the form of overpasses). All major intersections at the point of the trail leading away from busy St. Petersburg all have high overpasses constructed to avoid interference with vehicular traffic.

There are plenty of bike shops lining the trail at various points. I stopped at one of them to pick up a few supplies and pick one of the staff members brain about the trail. He joked about the 20 mph speed limit they have on the trail and how they DO at times enforce it. I think more-so by the elderly that prowl the trail. I was later yelled at by a geezer to slow down as I rolled past him from the opposite direction at a mind blowing 25. Oh well, I'm sure that made for some good ranting at his 2:30 dinner. I joke, but the retirement community surrounding the trail really does keep it well preserved and protected.


I rolled further north through beautiful Clearwater. I was amazed at how they'd reworked the logistics of surrounding traffic to accommodate the trail cutting by the east side of their downtown area. One road had been converted to a one way / one lane vehicular traffic pattern, while the other lane was divided and strictly used for bike and pedestrian traffic. This is all Chicago would have to do on a low traffic East/West road to make things unbelievably more safe for cyclists in the city. Leave it up to Clearwater, Florida to figure it out. This feature of the trail was very well done and appreciated.


I then continued through Dunedin. This was the town that best took advantage of their closeness in proximity to the trail. Coffee shops, tourist shops, breweries, wineries, and eateries are found on and a matter of blocks from the trail. The only disadvantage of this portion of the trail was the frequency of stop and go as many roadways intersect the path through this area. However, if you've been traveling at a good enough clip, you'll probably be looking for some refreshments and a little break from high pace at this time. Then it was north through the Palm Harbor area (best views of the gulf and surrounding waterways) and then North to Tarpon Springs. Tarpon Springs is an old Greek settlement where culture and tradition are well preserved. The trail straight through the palm tree-lined downtown streets, again surrounded with bordering shops and restaurants. I'm sure there was great food to be found somewhere, but I knew the time was quickly approaching to turn around and I just HAD to get to the northern terminus of the trail.




When I finally arrived to the northern terminus of the trail. I was a bit disappointed. I wasn't expecting a Wizard of Oz or a pot of gold to signal the end of my journey, but maybe a historic placard or something. I was greeted with a couple bright reflective red diamonds and a "Trail Ends Here" sign. A bit of creativity and thought is definitely in need here. Truthfully, the trail commission plans on adding another twelve mile or so stretch in the years to come. The trail will then connect with other surrounding trials to circumnavigate the county. It is said that this will then be the longest continuous circling trail in the United States. If I gained anything from my experiences, I learned that the trail commission is off to a damn great start. I took advantage of a 15 mph tailwind or so and hustled back down the trail to my vehicle. I rewarded my long journey with a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and a delicious salmon and acorn squash dinner as prepared by my sister. A great solo trip and a great experience on what I consider one of the best planned trails I've ever ridden. If you ever have a chance to get down to the St. Petersburg area. I'd heavily suggest traveling the trail and experiencing all it has to offer!

 Tips:
- The St. Petersburg KOA campground is located just off the Long Bayou Causeway. It looked like a great place to camp, RV, they even have small cabins to rent. You can be on the trail seconds after leaving the campground.

- As a "day tripper" I found the best place to drop onto the trail was the Walmart (of all places) 3993 North Tyrone Blvd., North St. Petersburg. The parking lot jumps right onto the trail and avoids all shady areas on the southern portions of the trail.

- There's an nice park and bathroom facility when you pass through Seminole. Great place to refill water bottles.

- Bicycle Outfitters seemed to be one of the best bike shops on the route. Also located in Seminole. They offered everything from energy food and gear to repairs. They also have bikes for rent; cruisers to road bikes.

- North Dunedin, there's a trailed causeway that takes you out to Honeymoon Island State Recreation area. I didn't get a chance to explore (maybe later this week) But it looked like great views and more trails.




No comments:

Post a Comment