Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mountain Bike Conversion for the Road (on the cheap)...


As I watch my once Florida-tanned skin fade into a translucent shade of white, I realize that I still have at least a month before I can even think about peeling off any piece of gear during my training rides. These are the days when avid cyclists start braving almost any elements simply for the sake of seeing the ground move below them. This is the period it's easily justifiable to have feelings of anger toward inanimate objects like salt, snow drifts, and climate in general. Rollers and trainers are no longer your winter buddy, but the human equivalent of a hamster wheel. The craziness that is brought on during this period of the year in the Chicagoland area bridges all walks of life. Last week, when we reached temperatures that barely reached over 40 degrees fahrenheit; I witnessed a Ford Mustang toting three passengers with the rag-top down. It's moments like these, when I truly start to grasp natural selection and the west side of the bell curve. 

I took to the Chicago Lakefront Path last week. The trails were clear, welll salted, and wide open. It was encouraging to see other clubs out on the trails as well. I ran across riders from several other teams. After cleaning, tuning, and lubing up my Velo Vie Vitesse 300 SE (our relationship is on the mend, dig the new bike) road bike in Florida, my desperate yearning to ride led to taking her out on the trail. Desperate times mean desperate measures. Within moments of embarking on my frigid journey, I realized this had been a bad decision....talk about the bell curve! (duh). Needless to say, the ride received an immediate and thorough de-salting bath and re-greasing, and maybe even a few verbally expressed apologies to the bike. It was at this point that I realized what I was dealing with. I wasn't in Florida anymore, Toto. Side Note: I can't believe how badly the winter storms chewed up part of the path and seawalls; especially south of McCormick Place, WOW!

Like many right now, times and budgets are tight. I'm for sure 'tightening my belt' as suggested by the Ol' Pres. My goal was to convert one of my lesser ridden bikes into a viable winter ride and do this on the cheap. I decided to take my Trek 3700 mountain bike that was gathering dust in the garage down into my basement workshop and tweak it to make it road efficient.  I purchased a set of Panaracer Urban Max 26 x 1.5'' tires and a couple 26 x 1.5-1.75' tubes. They offered a smooth ride, but enough grip for light ice and show. and compatible tubes; A couple cheap bottle cages (steel); a Topeak M2 Defender fender (sturdy) to keep my rear quarters clean, dry and warm; a Cateye Enduro 8 wired computer (cheap and able to take a beating). I was able to make all these changes by staying within a budget hovering around $150.00. I transferred a set of aging Look Keo pedals from my track bike (to be replaced with a newer, sexier set this spring) and threw them on. I inverted the stem to lower the handlebar for a more aggressive riding position and made a couple couple seat adjusts, tune-ups and I was ready to rock! I had a mountain bike that was now road-worthy, able to handle light snowy conditions, and (hopefully) had the potential to offer some speed intervals on open and clear areas of the park.

I took my revived hefty monster out to Busse Woods in Elk Grove for its first trial run. The trails were clear for the most part. About 30% deep wooded portions of the 7.7 mile loop were still coverd by a mix of ice and snow slush a 2-3'' inches thick in parts. I was overly cautious at first, but I quickly became comfortable with the bikes handling and maneuverability over the ice and snow in a lower gear. It actually became a great bike handing exercise, feeling the changing and sliding terrain and responding to it. I would exit the wooded areas into a more clear, dry, and sun exposed portion of the parth and work up to the bike's highest gear. After a good warm-up it was time to see what this thing could do. 

I never thought I'd see the old tank see a sprint over 30 mph. It took a bit of spinning to try, but I got it on a quarter mile straight-away on the park's back end....barely. I really enjoyed the ride and versatility of bike all brought about by a few simple and affordable alterations. I know, I know, nothing mind blowing to the stud cyclist, but enough to offer a relatively safe and enjoyable ride (when paired with common sense and caution). I'm thinking this will be the bike I'll use as a commuter to and from work during rough weather mornings this coming spring. Further down the road, I'm considering either sawing back the bars a bit to put some  some bar ends to narrow my arm width to somewhat emulate my road bike form. I'll either do this, or go completely patchwork and try to fashion a set of bullhorn bars on hoopty-ride. Hell, I was so happy with the ride, I may make this my permanent commuter / city bike for awhile! If anything, I'm clearly heading down the road to ghetto-fabulousness.

R A N D O M  T H O U G H TS :

- R A C I N G: 
FIRED UP! I'm working on a partnership between my cycling squad Team WDT/Allvoi and a notable charitable organization. I hope to be sharing more information about what's in the work in the not too distant future. I'm excited about the opportunity and hope to see it thrive in the upcoming race season. I love competition, but it feels even better when hard work and effort benefits a cause outside of cycling. 

- M U S I C: 
Fan of folky, melodic, chill music with a slight echoing twang? I'm really digging the album 'The Unfazed' by Portland's-own, Dolorean. Not to be mistaken with the borderline chillwave (dare I bring on a hipster debate) sensations, Delorean. The track 'Thinskinned' is the perfect intro track if you take any interest. The album is available on eMusic. Follow the album link to a page where you can secure a free track download of the album title track 'The Unfazed' (Also an excellent tune). Perfect jams for enjoying your choice hot morning beverage and looking out onto the snow covered landscape. 
Along the same style lines, musically, I've really enjoyed this great adaptation/cover by Sun Kil Moon of Modest Mouse's 'Trucker's Atlas'. Couple great Florida drops, making me think of recent weeks passed. Perfect brain food for those yearning to get out there soon and do some traveling / site-seeing...



- O U T D O O R S: 
I saw my first robin for the year on my trek through Busse Woods. At a time where one looks for the slightest signs of spring, I'll take this for what it's worth for mental motivation! Forest preserves are a bit lonely this time of year. But the creeps parked outside of the bathroom facilities for no 'apparent' reason kept me distant company. 

- S A V E  B I G  B I R D ! ! ! 
The House of Representatives has voted to axe funding for public television media. This accounts for approximately 14% of their budget and could drastically change the landscape of public media. In all seriousness, please follow this link to see how you can get involved by contacting your state representatives and promoting awareness of the issue to ensure these cuts don't pass through the Senate when voted on March 4th! 


Bring on Spring!
-J.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment